Trying to think of some fun stuff for the kids this summer? Here are just some of the children’s activities going on around West Andersonville:
- Free concerts in the park! Welles Park at Lincoln and Sunnyside offers free family-friendly concerts every Tuesday between June 18th and August 27th. Concerts should start at 6:30pm (assuming the same schedule as last year).
- Free outdoor movies! The 48th Ward Summer Film Fest features great family-friendly movies all summer.
- The Swedish American Museum at 5211 N. Clark has two more After-School Programs left, on June 6 and June 20 at 3:30pm. The museum will also host a Free Family Concert on June 30 at 11am to 1pm. And in August there will be a week-long Pioneer the World Day Camp at the museum, during which kids can learn about the culture and customs of four different countries. There’s always something going on at the Swedish American Museum, so be sure to check out their calendar!
- Dream Big Performing Arts starts its series of week-long drama camps on June 10 and continues through August. Camps will be held at the First Free Church at 5255 N. Ashland unless otherwise noted. Mention WANT and this post for 10% off!
- Gus Giordano Dance School at 5230 N. Clark is offering a number of dance camps for kids of various ages and skill levels.
- Merry Music Makers has openings for kids of various ages in its summer music classes! Classes are held at the Andersonville location at Philadelphia Church at 5445 N. Clark.
- The Chicago Park District offers a wide-variety of summer programs for both adults and kids.
- Ebenezer Church at Foster & Paulina hosts a year-round neighborhood playgroup every Monday and Thursday from 9:30am to 11:30am.
- Women & Children First at 5233 N. Clark features Story Time, for 2-5 year olds, every Wednesday at 10:30am. It’s free and doors open at 10:15am. This popular event is also year-round.
- Don’t forget how entertaining the Andersonville Farmers’ Market can be! Many kids love to see the vendors (and many of the vendors love to say hi to the kids!), and there’s often live music.
- And of course there’s WANT’s First Annual Block Party, scheduled for July 21. There will be a bounce house, ice cream, and maybe even a visit from some mounted police, so make sure you save the date!
If you know of more family-friendly activities in the area, please let us know!